Here's the way to make perfect hard cooked eggs:
- Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover with cold water.
- Add a splash of white vinegar to the water. (This prevents the eggs from leaking out of the shell in case the shell cracks.) I also add a pinch of kosher salt.
- Bring the water up to the boil - JUST to the boil.
- Turn off the heat, cover the saucepan with a tight-fitting lid and allow to sit on the burner for 14 minutes. (Make sure to use a kitchen timer to time this properly.)
- Place the saucepan in the sink, pour out the hot water and run cold water over the eggs until they're cool enough to handle and peel.
Voila - perfect hard cooked eggs!